8 tips for getting the best price on your move
Are you switching houses, apartments or condominiums? Are you heading off to work or study in another province? Are you moving into a senior residence? No matter the reason for your move, for your peace of mind, you can call on the services of a professional company to handle your change of residence. However, you’re probably well aware that it can cost a lot of money to hire a specialist for your move.
Luckily, there are certain tricks that can help you maximize your budget for your move, as the price can vary drastically depending on several different factors. Here are eight tips that will enable you to get the best price on your move, whether it’s local or long-distance.
Tips and tricks for getting the best price on your move
- Request detailed estimates from at least three different professional moving companies. Compare them to determine which professional offers the best value for your money.
- Beware of any hidden fees and be careful if you’re only requesting estimates from companies that appear in Google’s paid listings! Having a paid ad isn’t necessarily a guarantee of professionalism.
- Start your preparations several months ahead of time. The more in advance you schedule your move, the better price you’ll get.
- When scheduling your move, choose the time of year carefully. In Quebec, prices start going up around the beginning of May. The closer you get to July 1, the higher the price will be, possibly increasing to twice as much or even three times as much as usual.
- Take care when choosing the day of the week for your move, as well. The prices are generally 10 percent higher on weekends and holidays.
- Sort through your belongings, including your linens, clothing and decorative objects. Over the years, you’ve undoubtedly accumulated clothes, knick-knacks, sheets and other things you no longer use. The more boxes you have to move, the more expensive the bill will be. You can take advantage of the opportunity to get rid of all the things you don’t need anymore. Think about donating these items to a community center near you so that other people can make good use of them.
- Get boxes from grocery stores, pharmacies, other people who have recently moved, etc. If possible, choose boxes of several different sizes and fill the largest ones with your lightest things and the smallest ones with your heaviest things.
- Pack up all of your belongings yourself. Professional moving companies charge additional fees for this service. The same goes for disassembling and reassembling your furnishings.
Groupe STC inc.: your solution when you want to get the best price on your move
Don’t risk injuring yourself or damaging your possessions in an effort to save money on your move. At Groupe STC inc., our teams of expert movers will transport and deliver all of your belongings safely, securely and efficiently with utmost attention to detail. And they’ll do it all at the best price!
Do you need an affordable move? Contact the experts at Groupe STC inc. It would be our pleasure to give you a free estimate on a high-quality professional move.